Happy New Year! We are super excited to welcome 2023 and we hope the new year treats you well. Have you set your new year’s resolutions yet? Setting goals can be an incredibly powerful way to make positive changes in your life, and the beginning of the year is a great time to start. Exercising more is one of the most common new year’s resolutions every year. Here are some free fitness events in the DMV area to help you jumpstart your fitness goals.
Fitness Events in DC in 2023
Yoga and Meditation
There are often free yoga classes for people of all levels and experiences. They are also sometimes conducted outdoors, so this is a great way for you to get outside and get your daily vitamin D out in the sun. All you often need are comfortable clothes and a yoga mat or towel. Be sure to read the details of your class beforehand. We encourage you to search for yoga classes happening near you, but here are a few that we found!
- Yoga on H Street – First Class Free – Jan 6
- Free In-person Meditation Workshops at Sahaja Yoga Meditation Center – Jan 7 (Weekly)
- Saturday Practice at Realignment Studio – Jan 7
- Free Beginner’s Yoga Mondays at Mary & Main – Jan 9 (Weekly)
- Free Weekly Breathwork Class Every Wednesday in Arlington – Jan 11
Biking and Skating
Ice, roller, and inline skating and bike riding are great ways to get outdoors. Make sure to check out additional skating and bike groups and events happening near you.
- Introductory Skate Route – Sundays
- Friday Night Fitness Skate – Fridays
- Other fun, less frequent events like ice skating and GPS Skate Art
DC Bike Ride – Sep 9
Have you considered running a race before? Even with little experience, setting a goal to run a race is an incredible motivator to train for a future goal. The great thing about races is that you can go at any speed you want and choose a distance that is suitable for you. 5k races are common and races often support charities as well. Here are some races happening in the DMV area soon. We encourage you to search for other races in your area for causes you support as well as there are countless races that are always looking for participants.
- 2023 Run at the Boathouse 5k in DC – Jan 21
- A Run to the Taproom 5K – Calvert Brewing Company in Upper Marlboro, MD – Jan 22
- 2023 Winter Hains Point 5k in DC – Jan 28
- 2023 Winter Burke Lake 5k in Fairfax, VA – Jan 29
- Love the Run You’re With 5K in Arlington, VA – Feb 12
- 2023 Belle Haven 5k in Belle View, VA – Feb 25
- 5K Run/Walk to Break the Silence on Ovarian Cancer at the National Harbor – May 6
- EOD Warrior 5K in DC – Jun 25
Looking to learn a new type of dance or want a fun activity to do with friends and family? Dance classes in the DMV area are the way to go. Many dance classes are free and are a great opportunity to learn something new, exercise, and socialize with others. Here are some free dance classes in the area.